OPTICS as per CBSE Curriculum; Mapped to NCERT.
Chapter–9: Ray Optics and Optical Instruments
Ray Optics: Reflection of light, spherical mirrors, mirror formula, refraction of light, total internal reflection and its applications, optical fibres, refraction at spherical surfaces, lenses, thin lens formula, lensmaker’s formula, magnification, power of a lens, combination of thin lenses in contact, refraction and dispersion of light through a prism.
Scattering of light – blue colour of sky and reddish apprearance of the sun at sunrise and sunset.
Optical instruments: Microscopes and astronomical telescopes (reflecting and refracting) and their magnifying powers.
Chapter–10: Wave Optics
Wave optics: Wave front and Huygen’s principle, reflection and refraction of plane wave at a plane surface using wave fronts. Proof of laws of reflection and refraction using Huygen’s principle. Interference, Young’s double slit experiment and expression for fringe width, coherent sources and sustained interference of light, diffraction due to a single slit, width of central maximum, resolving power of microscope and astronomical telescope, polarisation, plane polarised light, Brewster’s law, uses of plane polarised light and Polaroids.
- Self-Assessing Quizzes (using Google Forms) at every page to check Learning Outcomes.
- Extra Assignments with Subjective and Objective type Questions.
- Exercises from NCERT incorporated in the content itself at appropriate places.
- Questions from previous year’s CBSE exams incorporated in the content at appropriate places.
- Lectures 17
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 54 hours
- Skill level Beginner
- Language English
- Students 15
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes
Chapter 9 Ray Optics and Optical Instruments
- 9.1 Introduction
- 9.1b Basic Terminology
- 9.2 Reflection of Light by Spherical Mirrors
- 9.3 Refraction
- 9.4 Total Internal Reflection
- 9.5 Refraction at Spherical Surfaces and by Lenses
- 9.6 Refraction through a Prism
- 9.7 Dispersion by a Prism
- 9.8 Some Natural Phenomena due to Sunlight
- 9.9 Optical Instruments
Chapter 10 Wave Optics